Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Restaurants- Long Island, NY....Take 4

My first day in Melville had me go to the town of Hicksville to find food. When I arrived, the choices at this place were magnificent and totally worth the drive.

Jaiya Thai-Oriental Restaurant is located at 46 West Old Country Rd in Hicksville. It is kind of hard to see from the road at first, but is just after you make a right onto Old Country Rd, near a tire place. It is a large place with great artwork; looks like it would have a good buffet, but I did not find out for sure. The staff was friendly and were accomodating to me when I said "Vegan". They have an entire section of their menu dedicated to vegetarian options. They have tons of appetizers and salads too. I had their Vegetarian Spring Rolls which were different than the typical spring roll. It was lightly fried rice paper with cabbage, carrot, tofu, and a few other spices that I could not put my finger on; but it was delicious! Their entrees were more Thai-like; curries, stir fries, etc... However, they use tofu AND gluten in their dishes. I had the Bean Curd Gluten with Ginger Sauce and it was excellent. The sauce was nice and light and the tofu was well cooked. The gluten was interesting, but ended up tasting fine after I got over its oddness. I like the attempt at making the proteins taste different than most places. I talked with the waitor while I waited for my take out and he said that most Buddhists in the area and assorted other vegetarians usually choose one of their MANY salads (Spicy Gluten & Mushroom Salad, Vegetarian Papaya Salad, or Spicy Gluten & Baby Corn are their usual favorites), or the Vegetarian Duck, Sweet and Sour Bean Curd, Vegetarian Pad-Thai, Gluten Bean Curd Panang, or any of their assorted Bean Curd dishes. I highly recommend this place for anyone who is near Hicksville.

No comments: